Monday, March 19, 2012

Here's a First: Weekly Meal Plan

Hi there!  Sorry to have been absent for so long.  I know you secretly missed me.  ;-)

I'm on a mission in 2012 to streamline and simplify my life.  One way I think will really help is to plan a whole week's worth of meals at one time.  I'm notorious for telling Bill to stop and pick up a pizza on his way home from work because I can't decide what to make (and even if I could, I wouldn't have all the ingredients for it).  Well, no more!  From now on I'm getting serious and planning ahead.  Here's what I've come up with for this week:

Monday:  Tortellini with Snap Peas, Lemon and Dill
http://www.kelseyskitchen.com/uncategorized/tortellini-with-snap-peas-lemon-dill.html


Doesn't this look yummy?!  I can't wait to try it tonight.  I'm going to add a salad and some garlic breadsticks to complete the meal.

Tuesday:  Cowboy Casserole
http://thecuttingedgeofordinary.blogspot.com/2010/09/cowboy-casserole-looks-like-dog-food.html

I've actually made this one, and I can tell you it's GOOD!  I change up the original recipe a bit by replacing the can of corn with a bag of frozen broccoli cuts (cooked).  Also, I'm not a fan of cream of mushroom soup, so I use cream of celery.  I'm looking forward to making this again.  I love the Crispy Crowns on top!

Wednesday:  Greek Turkey Meatloaf with Roasted Lemon and Dill Potatoes
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/turkey-meatloaf-with-feta-and-sun-dried-tomatoes-recipe/index.html

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/roasted-potatoes-lemon-dill-00000000054470/index.html


This is a recipe from Giada de Laurentiis and it's delicious!  I call it Greek meatloaf since it contains feta and sundried tomatoes.  It's lighter than regular meatloaf and has a fantastic, complex flavor.  I'm pairing it with my new favorite side dish, Real Simple's roasted lemon and dill potatoes.


I made these a couple of weeks ago for the first time, and I've been dying to make them again ever since.  Roasting the potatoes and lemon together creates flavor that is, in a word, divine!  You'll thank me for these.  I'll also add a green veggie of some kind - we'll see what we feel like having on Wednesday.

 
Thursday:  Green Goddess Enchiladas
http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/2011/01/beef-and-corn-enchiladas-with-spinach-cream-sauce.html

Bill and I both LOVE Mexican food.  These sound good because they add an unexpected element:  spinach!  I plan to make some Spanish rice to go along with these.  Mmmmmm...

Friday:  Verdura Pizza


Pizza is *big* at the Perkins home.  We have it every Sunday after church, and it usually makes another appearance sometime during the week.  In this case, it's going to be on Friday.  When I watched Sandra Lee make this on Food Network, I knew it was going to become a favorite.  I'm making it even easier this time by starting with a ready-made frozen pizza as the base and just adding the goat cheese, spinach, red peppers, artichokes and olives on top.  I know it's cheating, but I don't care.  :-P

How about you?  Do you do weekly meal planning?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment. Have a great day!